How To Make Diaper Cakes
OK, so you want to know how to make diaper cakes! You must be planning a perfect baby shower? or maybe buying a gift for that new mum & dad? Either way you must be pretty ambitious if you want instructions for diaper cakes!
Only joking, many people make their own diaper cakes, and have lots of fun doing it. It's a great talking point at the baby shower and the new mum will love the effort that you have put in! So rather than waffling on about the whys and wherefores, let's get down to business!
Below you'll find a list of things of things you will need, and a set of instructions, to make it easy you could print this page out. To make it even easier, take a look at these video instructions instead.
How to make diaper cakes - Ingredients
- Diapers, or nappies if you live here in the UK. A nappy cake doesn't quite have that ring though does it! Either newborn size, or the next size up. You could use a mixture of both. You will need 50 or more as a rough guess, but it depends how many tiers you're intending to do, and how big you want the cake. When thinking of how to make diaper cakes - as well as thinking luxury, you also have to think practicality!
- Elastic bands, different sizes. A lot of people say to use the clear ones, but you will cover them anyway.
- Ribbon, lots and lots!
- Some small gifts (if you chose to add them) Maybe some lotion, shampoo, any toiletries really, as long as they are safe for baby and mum, baby hairbrush, cotton buds, onesies (or again in the UK we call them all-in-one vests) pacifiers (dummies)
- Wash cloths, flannels.
- You could also incorporate hooded towels, clothes, socks and so on.
- A cardboard base. Either a proper cake base, or you could cut one out of some cardboard yourself. It has to be sturdy though as 50 plus diapers aren't lightweight!
- Some wooden dowelling, to connect the layers together.
- Cellophane, netting or tulle to wrap the cake when it's 'baked'!
- Lots and Lots of patience!
- Maybe a second person, and extra pair of hands... The dog if he's good at holding things! :o)
Well no one said that how to make diaper cakes was going to be easy!
How to make diaper cakes - Instructions
Here's your instructions for diaper cakes! Oh boy!
Making diaper cakes I'm sure is easy if you are a patient kind of person, so this isn't going to be a half an hour project!
- Start to roll up the diapers, you can roll from top (open end) to bottom, or vice versa, depending on whether you want the patterned band around the top to 'show'. Secure each diaper with an elastic band.
- Depending on how big the cake will be and how many tiers you are making, you need to start making the layers. Start with one diaper in the middle. on its rolled end (vertically) place more diapers around the outside, until you have a circle of diapers. Then secure these with an elastic band. If you are doing 3 or 4 tier, you may need to add another 1 or 2 rows of diapers around the outside of the first 'circle', maybe more!
- Keep making your layers until you have 2,3 or 4 however many you are making. Don't forget that each layer should be one row (or circle) smaller than the layer before. I must say that the 3 and 4 tier diaper cakes do look wonderful!
- It is a good idea, that as you make each layer to secure it around the outside with a ribbon. Pass the ribbon around the whole layer (circle) of diapers and secure tightly with a bow. This also saves you having to do this at the end, as the ribbon will hide all of the elastic bands.
- Take the bottom layer, and take two or three pieces of wooden dowell. Insert them into the bottom layer of diapers, so they stand vertically around the centre. Your second tier will sit on top of the dowell to secure it into place. Do the same with the additional layers.
- Once all of your layers are in place, it's time to start adding the gifts. You can either tuck them into the ribbon covering the outside edge of the layers and work your way up. Or you can take a diaper out here and there, and tuck the gifts in place of the diapers.
- Top the whole cake off with cute little teddy (optional of course)
- If one of your gifts was a hooded towel or another similar larger item, you could cover the top layer fully with this. Tie a ribbon around it to secure it.
- To finish, place the cake onto the cardboard base (if you haven't already) And you could then wrap it in cellophane or netting, and tie the top with a huge ribbon!
- Job done! Cake complete and patience in tatters! (maybe)
Well that's how to make diaper cakes... Instructions are not the easiest things to follow when just written down, but there is a way to clear and precise instructions. Want to see some video's and make the process a whole lot easier?...then Click Here.
If you don't fancy the idea of making your own cake so much now - take a look below!
How to make diaper cakes - The cheats way!
OK it's not cheating, it's just putting a price on your time. Making baby shower cakes is going to be a time consuming project! I'm sure you have much better things to do, like organizing the food for the party, or finding games, even choosing a venue!
These cakes below (and the ones pictured above - you didn't really think they were made by me did you!) are all made by a great site that I know of. They are all made to perfection, gift wrapped and boxed to reach you in perfect condition, and you won't be up to your neck in elastic bands and ribbon!
To have a proper look at these fabulous diaper cakes and many more, check out this fabulous website. For the ULTIMATE diaper cake, visit Corner Stork and take your pick. Shop Corner Stork Baby Gifts & Diaper Cakes
how to make diaper cakes to Baby showers
Or back to the
New baby and beyond